Good news, good ideas do grow on trees. If you want to watch your tiny, sprouting tree service grow into a majestic tower of marketing prowess, it can happen. If you want to watch your withered, shriveled up tree service marketing ideas bud forth into life, that may be possible.
Over the past couple decades I’ve been involved in the Green Industry. I’ve held roles in production, selling and marketing. I’ve seen lots of horrible, average, and downright awesome methods of marketing for tree services. Some I’ve stumbled upon on my own, some from tree service industry experts, and a few learned from painful, personal mistakes.
It would seem like a simple definition, but there are still a lot of misconceptions about marketing tree services. Marketing is not the responsibility of one person at your company or even a few, but rather of your entire organization. Everyone plays a part in marketing. Stop introducing Larry as your “Marketing Guy”. You’re all in marketing. It’s just Larry’s job to lead the Marketing Crew.
Marketing is not the same as advertising. It encompasses not just advertising, but the comprehensive approach to promoting your tree company and individual tree service leads offerings which you can find from exclusive leads agency. It follows a prospect from when they don’t even know who you are to the point where they’re telling everyone how wonderful you are.
Advertising is just one subset to an overall tree service marketing plan and can enlist a variety of specific tools. We’ll get into those in a moment, but first it’s absolutely crucial to understand how to set your company’s marketing efforts up for success.
I’ve done this for one of the Top 150 Landscaping Companies in the country, so this isn’t just some online marketing “ninja” (I hate that term) waving his arms around like an idiot. Stick with me.
Some Ground Work Before Setting Up Specific Tree Service Marketing Solutions
Everyone who climbs a tree or pulls a hose to spray a property knows that giving some thought to your process before you start is critical. The same is true for your marketing strategy.
Who are your customers? Who are 2-3 types of your ideal customer? Buyer Personas are the root of tree service marketing success. They aren’t some term marketers throw around to seem like they are sophisticated, they’re critical to finding more business.
Buyer personas are fictional, generalized representations of your ideal customers. Understanding who they are will be part of every decision you make when considering the latest shiny, new tree service marketing ideas you see flying about.
Tree Service Marketing Mistakes
Oh the mistakes I’ve made and seen. But this is not all about me, it’s about you and your tree care company. Here’s a quick list of main points to help you start to consider what you may be doing wrong:
- Ask, “How did you hear about us?” on EVERY contact and be able to provide detailed reports on where your leads come from. This is HUGE in knowing where to spend your marketing dollars.
- Don’t compete with big brands if you aren’t one. Not many people are singing, “I like big BRANDS, and I cannot lie.”
- Break-up with bad marketing methods. It’s not you, it’s them. If you’re getting nothing out of the relationship, why are you in it?
- Measure everything. If you can’t tell someone how much you spent last year on marketing, how many people clicked on an offer, how long it took Tony on your sales team to propose or close an opportunity, or other valuable metrics, you’re throwing a rope in a tree hoping the branch will support you, when it may not.
- Change your people or change your people. Don’t make your “Marketing Guy/Gal” figure it out if it’s not their gift. If they can’t cut it, hire someone who is passionate about your company’s brand, doesn’t require constant supervision, and is hungry to learn both about trees and modern marketing trends. If a person has these qualities, it trumps experience or technical knowledge.